Today’s post is by Jessica Barber, one of our awesome Tech Support Specialists.
Ever heard someone say, “They call it work for a reason; it’s not supposed to be fun!”?
Food for Thought: Work is “an activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result.” Who said work couldn’t also be fun?! After doing some research, “FUN AT WORK” appears to become the new way of work that has not missed COATS.
COATS agrees in “having fun within the parameters of productivity”:
- Forbes says that Fun At Work “helps with motivating. It helps with inspiring. It helps with productivity”, that ” For the next generation entering the workforce, this trend of peculiar yet meaningful values inspires hope that no longer should fun and professionalism be at odds.”
- Fox News agrees, saying “This allows creative ideas to flow more freely.”
- Monster.com says “It would be rare to be one of Fortune’s ‘100 Best Companies to Work For’ and not score well on the fun question.” Read more:
There are ways to have FUN at WORK, even if not done as a group, such as wearing two different colored socks and see who notices. I personally have toe-sock Friday’s around some holidays for Fun.
We have COATS have started “FUN AT WORK” days and some examples are:
- Day 1: St Patrick’s Day
(March 15th – Wearing/ Decorating Green)
- Day 2: Dip Day
(March 27th – Dips having Dip)
- Day 3: Celebrating Easter/ Spring
(March 29th – Easter Egg Hunt)
- Day 4: Administrative Professional Potluck
(April 24th – Theme: ‘The Last Meal’ – bringing items that begins with the first letter of their last name.)
When I started this post, I found that we already incorporated fun in our work day… Fat Tuesday, Year End Completion, other St. Patrick’s and Halloween’s, the random Donut Friday, etc.
Watch for our random Fun Day photos on Facebook.
Do you have FUN at work?